Saturday 5 March 2011

"Historic Savannah" Cobra1899's photos around Savannah, United States

A TripAdvisor™ TripWow slideshow of a travel blog to Savannah, United States by TravelPod blogger Cobra1899 titled "Historic Savannah!" Cobra1899's travel blog entry: ""Savannah, Georgia. Established in 1733 to become a bustling port for exporting cotton and a city of culture whose architecture blended a variety of styles...Federal, English Regency, Greek Revival, Gothic Revival, Italianate, Romanesque Revival and Queen Anne. During the Civil War, Savannah was the prize at the end of the Union Army's devastating "March to the Sea" in December 1864 - but was spared by General William Tecumseh Sherman, who made her a "Christmas gift" to President Abraham Lincoln." I walked for 7 hours through Savannah's cobblestoned streets, lush city squares and quaint waterfront. I meandered aimlessly...north....west...south....and east...going round in circles...up and down the streets, and back again. Savannah is a walking city set up in a grid fashion. Very easy to get around and not get lost. There are no streets that take off in crazy angles where you end up not knowing which direction you are heading. When I started getting tired I would tell myself that that was it...no more pictures and time to head back. Then I would see something else. This happened over and over again. I had decided early on to stick around until it got dark, though I was tired and almost left. If I had had any energy left I would have walked the Historic section one more time in the dark. It is the Christmas ...